Sunday, April 6, 2008

what I think about all this, part 2

The Current Candidates!

John McCain: His emails are alright. He stresses his straight talk express, his experience, and puts news articles praising him (or at least not bashing him) on his emails. Good job.
But that doesn't change the fact that I've already compiled at least 10 flip flops and terrible positions he's taken, nullifying the straight talk. Also, in his latest email he asks for donations of $50 up to $2,300, which suggests to me that taking money from "regular folks" isn't so important to him. His donor page lets you do $25 or even lower, and all the other candidates asked for $25. Why doesn't McCain care to ask for the little guy's help?

Hillary Clinton: Her emails and the ones coming from her husband, daughter, and surrogates are alright. She tries to inspire, but I just can't shake the feeling from time to time that her emails fly in the face of what the news has said or what just plain happened. People calling on you to resign? Well, raising something like 2 million from an undisclosed number (at the time) of recipients shows the media who's boss, apparently. Also, being slightly biased (see The Punditburo's postings on the Clintons) I feel like her emails emphasize her as someone who's in it to win it, not because that's what everyone wants, but because she doesn't give up and that's why you should support her. The subtext to me is "I deserve it and dammit I'm not going to let the media or anyone else tell me otherwise".

Barack Obama: Much has been written about his emails, his webpage and his style. And I think his emails measure up to this - the small private dinner with Barack, constantly talking about how 'you' helped out, and sending emails asking for volunteers to go places. I don't get so much of that from Hillary or McCain. Hillary just has big fundraisers in my home state. Barack's people sent me an email to announce the opening of his campaign office in Lexington. I don't even know if Hillary has such a system. Perhaps it's microtargeting, but I feel like it's more than that.

So that's that. Back to posting regular emails.

No comments: